Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Our STAR Blog Contest Winner!

A STAR IS BORN!

Thank you for all of your entries.  There were so many inspirational stories that is was difficult to choose one star.  "Big" Mike, as he signed his entry, not only has an inspirational story, but has also used his trials to help others.

Congratulations Mike on being chosen to be a Hollywood Half Marathon Star, and we are honored to have you join us on race day.

Here is his story:

Why I should be a star,

There are moments in our lives, where we make a decision that alters the course of our lives forever.

After losing my job year ago and weighed in at 245 lbs. my heaviest ever. I was starting to feel more unhealthy and wasn't paying attention to my body. Then the unthinkable happened, my body broke-down and I was rushed to the Emergency Room. I had to stay a few days at the hospital and I learned that I had been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

I was in total shock, I was sad, and thought I was going to die a young death. I'm already a DEAF individual, so this shocked me to my very core. While unable to do anything for a while, I used this time to think. I said to myself that this is something that I can control and I can change. I decided to transform my body as a weapon to fight this disease through health and fitness and so I became a late blooming athlete.

Running gave me purpose, strength and a community. Yet it’s so much more, I run for everyone who has ever been touched by diabetes, cancer, AIDS, obesity and many others --that includes caregivers, those currently fighting it, and those who've lost their lives--I carry them with me in my heart while I run. Thus finding out that we’re so much capable of things we never imagined and that's all the motivation I'll ever need. As Bon Jovi once said “It’s my life it’s now or never I ain’t going to live forever”

The Hollywood Half Marathon, is personal because not only was it my 2nd half marathon ever that pushed me out of my comfort zone one but where my idea hatched. Because of all the running I was doing, and countless other races. A few months after Hollywood I created "Bless Your Sole" which seeks to provide less fortunate Deaf and Hard of Hearing men, women, children, and people with disabilities with moderately worn athletic shoes. All shoes are donated from the community, churches, non-profits, race events, etc. Running saved me and I just wanted to pass that blessing to others.

Being a diabetic is not a death sentence. My disease was only a minor setback and I knew I could beat this, choosing to overcome obstacles and believing in all possibilities. Running has given me the will to push to live. That I may have a disease, but the disease doesn't have me. In Hollywood I may not “hear” the cheers, I may not be the fastest, and I certainly don’t do this for the applause. But you asked why I should be a star well because “There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine” As we run may we all shine as bright as the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment